Monday, December 3, 2012

Ethan Michael Bibeau


We arrived at the hospital on Friday November 30th at 7:00 pm for my scheduled induction. When we first got to the hospital my doctor broke my water in hopes to jump start my labor. Didn't quite happen as easily as she hoped so she suggested we get up and walk around. 

We took a stroll around the labor and delivery floor to see if we could get anything going. At 8:15 my water broke but by 9:00 when my contractions failed to start my doctor decided it was time to start pitocin. I was a bit concerned about this at first because I was on it with Garrett and my labor with him was so long and taxing. 


Brett gets a kick out of my fall risk bracelet

Our view ... nothing too spectacular

My nurse was nice enough to suggest that I start the pitocin in the rocking chair since she knew I wanted an epidural and probably wouldn't want to sit in bed for the next however many hours. I brought my crochet with me which my Doctor got quite the kick out of. She also really liked the slippers I was making and hinted that it was a Christmas gift she wouldn't mind getting :)  At 9:45 the nurse upped my pitocin just a notch and it really helped to get the contractions going. Luckily the differences between this labor and Garrett's were very positive. With Garrett when I got my epidural was based off of the fact that my contractions were so close together and so long lasting that I would get maybe 30 seconds of relief in between them. This was preventing my body from being able to progress properly and caused more stress on Garrett. This time my contractions were 2 min apart and only lasting about 30 seconds so I had a nice break in between.

At 12:15 I got into bed to start receiving my fluids for the epidural and at 12:45 the anesthesiologist came in and gave it to me. The relief was amazing. Unfortunately it also caused my blood pressure to dip pretty low so the nurse and my Doctor hung out for awhile and gave me some shots to help regulate my pressure. It was pretty horrible until things got better, I wasn't sure if I wanted to pass out or throw up. Once that passed I was feeling better but pretty groggy from the experience. I was able to get a little shut eye and when they checked me I had gone from 4cm at 1:00 to 5cm at 2:34.


The nurse seemed to know that things might be picking up because she started to get the room ready and its was a good thing she did. At 2:50 she checked me again and I had progressed to 7cm. At 3:00 they paged my doctor because I was at 9.5 cm and luckily she came running in the room shortly after because I was at 10 and ready to go.

On my first push the head was already visible and just 4 more contractions or 12 pushes later and a quick pause to get the cord that was wrapped around his neck Ethan Michael arrived at 3:22pm! He was born at 8lbs 5 oz and 20 inches long. 








The nurses were nice enough to play along on a little prank we had and made a fake name card for the bassinet that said "Chevy." Brett wanted to trick the grandmother's and see what their reaction would be to such a name ... it backfired a little since they both actually liked it ;) 






No comments:

Post a Comment

I love love love comments ... so feel free to leave one :)