Wednesday, August 17, 2011

Sunday Funday

Between daycare and my work schedule Garrett and I don't get to spend more than a couple hours together each day and often times only see eachother for 30 minutes or sometimes not at all. So when the chance came for us to spend an ENTIRE day together I wanted to do as many things as possible to make it a very fun day.

I knew I wanted to make playdough and a recipe online that called for Cream of Tartar so our day started out with a trip to target. After picking up a few ingredients including food coloring we headed over to the dollar section to see what else we could find. As luck would have it we found some bubble wands and after a quick search online to make sure I had everything needed to make our own solution (thank goodness for smart phones with internet capabilities) we grabbed some paints and headed home to get started.

Since we got home a couple hours before nap time and the playdough was going to need time on the stovetop we started off with the bubbles and boy did we have a good time.









My favorite part was you yelling "Bubbles, Bubbles!" over and over again!

After we were done with the bubbles I brought you inside with many protests and put you down for your afternoon nap. While you were sleeping I got started on making the playdough. I've never made it before so it was definitely an experiment for me. I used this recipe and it was really easy and did take about 10 minutes like it states.

Cream of Tarter Playdough Recipe

Ingredients:
2 cups of plain flour
2 cups of coloured water
1 Tbsp. of cooking oil
1 tsp. cream of tartar
1 cup of salt

Directions:
Place all of the ingredients in a medium size or large pan. Cook slowly on medium-high and stir it until the playdough thickens. Keeps best in the fridge in plastic containers. This is simular to the traditional playdough recipe.

Takes less than 10 minutes.

Our ingredients are ready to go

Added a little food coloring

Garrett was very excited that we could make a ball out of playdough



Brought out the cookie cutters to jazz things up


After about 30 minutes or so you decided you were "All Done" and it was time for our next project. ::side note I was impressed that you were able to hold your focus for that long:: I figured since the kitchen was already messy from the playdough it was a perfect segue into painting. You really like fish these days so I thought it would be fun if we painted some. To start I went online and found a coloring page with fish. We printed it off, cut the fish out and taped them to the bottom of a shoebox. I added a few dobs of paint and I was hoping for golfballs but since Daddy lost all of them in the woods we used some rocks from outside.


Since we didn't have any large rubber bands I couldn't let you shake the box all by yourself but you were excited to participate.


After we were done shaking I put the box outside on the patio to dry (note: I wish I had taken the fish out of the box and put them on wax paper outside to dry. It was very challenging to peel them off the cardboard without ripping them after the fact.) While they were drying we found some blue construction paper and painted some seaweed to give the fish a picture perfect background. The rocks gave the fish a little bit of texture but again golf balls would be preferred to give the look of scales.


Once the kitchen was all cleaned up and our arts and crafts were put away we popped in a movie to have a little down time. After 15 minutes of watching Lion King you were ready to do something else. I knew for sure when you carried my purse in on your arm, waved and said "ByeBye." Since you were all set to go somewhere we quickly got our things packed up and headed to the park. Since you won't let me push you in your stroller for more than a few minutes and walking their with you would have taken FOREVER we decided to take the car.

We had lots of fun at the park. For the very first time you enjoyed swinging and you loved going through the tunnels which was a bit of a challenge for me since you would dart through them to the other side and I needed to be there so you wouldn't fall off the edges of the platforms. They do not make playgrounds for adults but we managed.


LOVED the tunnels

Had a hard time understanding the concept of this one

BIG SMILES!


I am so thankful for the great day that we had and can't wait for our next Mommy and Me playdate! Love you so much little man!


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love love love comments ... so feel free to leave one :)