Thursday, January 26, 2012

Cutting of the Crust

Today I was preparing a sandwich for Garrett and found myself cutting off his crust even though I always swore that I would never be one of those parents. One of those parents that cuts off the crust when its perfectly acceptable to eat. I also wouldn't be one of those parents who gives in during a temper tantrum just to get my kid to stop screaming in the store. I was going to continue to side eye the parents who couldn't control their toddlers because they must be bad parents. I wasn't going to reschedule my life and do things on another persons schedule. Then I became a parent ....

Over the last two years I have learned that toddlers are unable to control their little bodies and its not because of bad parenting. I've realized that a two year old doesn't have the capacity to understand what patience or reason means. I've stayed home rather than meet up with friends so that my child gets a good nap. I've left get togethers early in order to make sure a 6 o'clock bedtime is met. I laugh at the person I was before I became a parent because I was so clueless.

Now I'm the one trying not to let the side eyes bother me especially those coming from childless people. I know that someday when they have children all of their well-meaning advice will make them feel a bit like an ass when they see how off base they really were. How parenthood is messy, unpredictable and maybe even more than they bargained for ... and all I know is life as a mother of one! So for now I say to pre-motherhood Ashley ... side eye all you want but I'm cutting the damn crust off the bread cause he's just going to throw it on the floor anyway.

1 comment:

I love love love comments ... so feel free to leave one :)