Thursday, January 26, 2012

My Sewing Must-Haves

So let me start by saying that I am no expert when it comes to sewing. With that said I know some friends have decided to try their hands at sewing and after practicing new techniques and some seriously failed attempts I would like to share a few things I have learned.

First of all lets talk equipment. Over the last year I have added some new things to my arsenal and although I would like MANY MANY more things, these have been very helpful.

Cutting Mat and Ruler - Seems simple enough but when I first started out I didn't have a very good ruler and didn't even think a cutting mat was something I was going to need. Then I started doing tutorials that didn't come with printed patterns and quickly realized that I was going to need something to help with measurements and cutting.




Scissors - A good pair of scissors and by that I mean I really good pair of fabric scissors is a necessity. I actually have different scissors for different things. I have titanium Fiskars scissors for cutting all fabric. I have another pair of Fiskars scissors that are not titanium that use for cutting paper. I like that one is gold and the other is silver because it helps me tell them apart. The other pair of scissors I suggest getting even if you don't end up using them as often is a pair of pinking shears (zig zag cut.)




Rotary Cutter - I LOVE THIS TOOL! I first bought this tool because I needed to cut circles in half and it was what the tutorial suggest and boy am I glad I got it. It makes cutting fabric of any kind so easy and if you are anything like me and not so good at cutting straight lines with a scissors you will love it too! If you don't have one get one ... you won't regret it.


Fusible Webbing - Some of the projects I have done lately have required sewing small fabric pieces onto larger ones. A perfect example of this is the Quiet Book I made for Garrett. The only way that project was possible for me was using fusible webbing. First its important to realize that you need to trace the item on the paper in the opposite direction that you want. The do a rough cut of the item and iron onto the desired fabric. One thing I really like is that it seams the edges and reduces fray. If its an item that will require washing and lots of handling it is best to sew that item onto your fabric and the webbing makes that much easier because you can iron it on before sewing.

Double Needle - I would love to give you a full run down on why this is a great thing to use and the best way to do it but no one can tell you that better than Ashley over at Make It And Love It so follow this link for great information on double needles as well as other really useful sewing tips. My advice ... don't be afraid of the double needle :)



Internet - Last but not least use the internet as much as possible to find tutorials, patterns and tips in general. Most patterns that you buy at places like Joann Fabrics are expensive and a lot of the time someone out there as a free tutorial or pattern you can use instead. If you only go to one website I strongly suggest that it be Make It And Love It (linked above.) Ashley does an amazing job with her tutorials! For example I hate sewing on buttons but after reading this post I love doing them. Even better now that my mom showed me that button holes aren't scary and my new sewing machine basically does the work for you I'm all about adding button these days.

Ok so again I'm far from an authority on sewing and definitely have a lot of learning to do (anyone know of a good class locally?) but these items have made things easier for me and hopefully they will do the same for you!

Good luck and happy creating :) 


1 comment:

  1. Holy crap! I didn't know I wanted to sew until I read this...sad thing is that I already own a sewing machine!

    ReplyDelete

I love love love comments ... so feel free to leave one :)