Sunday, January 29, 2012

Yoga Mat Cover Tutorial









I recently took up pilates and in turn needed a mat to workout with. When I was shopping for a mat I noticed that there were mat covers. Makes sense to have something to protect in between uses but I wasn't willing to spend $19.00. So I went to my nearest fabric store bought some duck cloth (canvas) for $5.49 (I intend to make two) and got to work.








First up ... measure your mat. Start by measuring the circumference, mine is 13 inches and then the length, mine is 24 1/4 inches. I added 6 inches to the length to accomodate a 1/4" seam allowance as well as a top hem for the cord. I also added 3 inches to the width for seam allowance. For the bottom circle I added 2.7" to the circumference. Since its not easy to measure around a circle it is best to determine what your diameter is. Remember diameter = circumference divided by 3.14.

My measurements are as follows:
Body - 30 1/4" x 16"
Bottom Circle - 15.7 circumference or 5" in diameter.
Strap - 30 1/4" x 4"

If you need a refresher course to cut out a circle read this next part ... otherwise skip ahead to sewing the strap.

The easiet way to sew a circle is to take a piece of paper and fold it into quarters. Then using your ruler mark the radius of the circle at numerous points on the paper.


SEE!


Once you're done with your marks cut along them and VIOLA! you have a perfectly sized and round circle.


Alright now that all of your pieces are cut out (and ironed I'm assuming) go ahead and sew your strap piece sewing right sides together using a 1/4" seam allowance. I sewed one end closed to make it easy to turn it inside out. For tips on how to turn tubes inside out watch this video.. Remember to be careful not to poke your chopstick or in my case knitting needle through the fabric. Once you have turned around the fabric, carefully poke out your corners and iron flat.

Next hem one end your body piece for your drawstring to slide through. Pin in place, iron flat and sew using a 1/4" seam allowance.


After your top hem is done attach your strap to the right side of your body piece. I measured in 5 inches on both end and pinned in place.




To finish the body, but right sides together keeping the shoulder strap inside. Pin in place and sew using a 1/4" seam allowance, leave your top hem open.

After your sides are sewn together attach the your cicle piece to the end of the body. Press the right sides together, keeping the material flat as you move around the circle and pin into place. Carefully sew around the circle keeping with a 1/4" seam allowance.


When your circle piece is attached pull your cord through the top hem and secure with a cord pull. I cover the end of my safety pin with tape because otherwise without fail it will open half way through and that is a PAIN!



Flip your bag right side out and you're done! Now you have a bag to keep your mat rolled up and clean between trips to the gym, and it only cost me $4.99 per bag!




4 comments:

  1. Excellent work. I suppose you could use the same principle to make a bag like this for the cases that come with those inexpensive camping chairs...those always seem to disappear. Love the animated gif...so stealing that idea! LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You definitely could and considering that I have a few bags missing I might need to do just that!

      Delete
  2. Just saying, your mom could use one for her yoga mat

    ReplyDelete

I love love love comments ... so feel free to leave one :)